When choosing toothpaste brands in modern times, most people are primarily concerned with whitening.  However, what they are not aware of is that they are often putting poison in their mouth.  Avoiding toxins like Triclosan, should be the primary concern.  Every wonder why there is a warning label on most conventional toothpaste tubes that says, “Do not swallow…in case of accidental ingestion, contact the poison control center”?

Choosing The Best Toothpaste - Which?

However, even if you don’t swallow it, you need to be aware of the fact that your mouth is an absorbent place.  While you brush your teeth, the toxins you are supposed to avoid swallowing are being absorbed into your bloodstream.

According to the CDC, children should use no more than a pea-sized amount and kids younger than 3 should use no more than the size of a rice grain.

The warning by the agency has to do with the fluoride most conventional toothpaste brands contain.  If you look closely, you will notice that fluoride toothpastes have a warning on their label stating  “If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”

The FDA issued this mandatory  warning in April, 1997 for fluoride-containing dental products.

Here are some of the ingredients you should avoid when choosing your families toothpaste brand:


Triclosan is a chemical germ killer.  Originally it was registered as a pesticide.  Today, you can find it in Colgate toothpaste, which has been an active ingredient in this toothpaste for the past two decades.  Triclosan has been linked to cancer, thyroid disorders and cardiovascular problems.


Your gums have self-cleaning and self-repairing enzymes and abilities that are reduced to do fluoridated toothpaste.  A published article in the medical journal Neurologia indicated that prolonged ingestion (daily use) of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and the nervous system.  Also, fluoride may cause damage to the brain (leading to a decrease IQ especially in children),  bones, gastrointestinal tract,pineal gland, thyroid, and may even lead to cancer.


Surfactants are easily absorbed by the body and are considered carcinogenic.  A common surfactant found in toothpaste is sodium lauryl sulfate.  Surfactants such as this can cause skin and eye irritations, canker sores and mouth ulcers, hormone imbalances and the destruction of structural proteins.


Also known as “glucitol”.  Sorbitol is actually a sugar alcohol.  Sugar alcohol’s commonly cause digestive stress.

Artificial Sugars

Be especially aware of aspartame and this ingredient has been linked to dozens of diseases including brain tumors.

Propylene Glycol

This agent acts as a solvent and/or surfactant.  It is also a active ingredient in antifreeze (for your car).  The EPA says you should wear protective gear from head to toe when handling Propylene Glycol and it requires special disposal.


Dr. Geral F. Judd, says toothpastes containing glycerin should be avoided.  This substance coats your teeth like plastic wrap.  However, it also prevents nutrients from being absorbed and re-mineralizing your teeth.  Glycerin required about 20 rinses to get it off.


Diethanolamine (DEA) is a foaming agent.  It also is linked to liver and kidney cancer by disrupting hormones and forming cancer-causing nitrates.

FD & C Dyes 1&2

These artificial coloring agents are linked to multiple health disorders including cancer.  Common problems associated with these coloring agents are headaches and asthmatic reactions.

Toothpaste Brands to Avoid

These brands contain one or more of the toxic ingredients mentioned.  As you will notice, many of these are household names that most of us have been using for decades:

  • Crest
  • Arm and Hammer
  • Colgate
  • Plus White Whitening


Wheatgrass can reverse cavities and heal gum disease. Wheatgrass is comprised of bacteria-fighting chlorophyll that detoxifies your body and eliminates the conditions that cause harmful bacteria to damage your gums and teeth!

Swish wheatgrass juice in your mouth for 5 minutes and spit it out. Do this 2-3 times a day!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *